Wednesday 21 March 2012

Hello there,

So after quitting EvE online for the 100th time after my last "burn out" I find myself signing up for EvE once more. I'll be starting again, a fresh start. Although something tells me I'll find some way to buy myself a toon on the bazaar within the first few months.

It hit me within the first few days that I should make a blog about my return as many other "bitter vets" have left the game since its launch and i'm partly curious to hear peoples own experiences with the love hate relationship that we all share with EvE, as well as documenting my own experiences for future amusement / hindsight.


 

THE PLAN!

The plan is simple... kill the batman... wait no, thats not it... aha! I remember now. Its to run Incursions to grind up the iskies required to buy my way back into a reasonable skill pointed pvp toon.

1. Get 21 day free trial (+30 days free for a total of 51 days!)
2. Get trusted friend to loan you a plex
3. Trusted friend recives plex when you activate with sent plex
4. Get implants off friend and remap for optimal train time (not essential but helps)

5. Train for LFSF Maelstrom, use T1 guns to cut the train time down.
6. Troll Jita until training is done (around 20 day train)
7. Start incusions!



INCURSIONS - The first days

 

 

So, heading into an incursions fleet with a less than month old toon is kinda awesome yet kinda nerve racking at the same time. I had alot of questions, of which many where answered in the incursion channels and forums, however you can theory craft till the cows come home, until you have experienced something you don't really know what to expect.

Here is where it gets interesting, in the first 2 days of running incursions I racked up 2bill isk. These new incursions fleets for anyone thats been in 0.0 are a breeze, not only that they pay better than a carrier in sanctums. Even an average fleet can pull 10.5m per site and run 10 sites per hour. The low sp Maelstrom was still pulling out more dps than many of the non-faction boats in the fleets although I would stress that a faction web will help get you into fleets and a sensor booster and tracking computer will aid you greatly, especially with an under skilled toon. Scimitar logi are preferred over baski as well because although they provide less reps they give you tracking links which speeds up the fleet in general.

COMPETITION - A whole new kind of fleet battle

Something interesting to note regarding Incursions that many people running them don't understand is how the skills they are learning in these fleets are the skills required for pvp fleets of the same size, I think CCP has done some sneaky mechanics here so that their is some kind of progression into pvp which I'm so far liking.

The whole, fleets can compete for the same site game play is really nice. It gets fleets working under pressure and gets them thinking in the right mindset for PvP so overall I expect to see the benefits of incursions in small scale warfare later on in EvE when I start to PvP.


ALLIANCE / CORPORATIONS - The invites start

 

 

Even as a low SP toon, I've been offered a lot of opportunities from past associates as well as new ones via incursion fleets. Its nice to see that knowledge in EvE is still powerful and ISK/SP is only secondary to knowing what your doing. I've met some truly interesting groups via incursions and I can see the potential for them to be used as a recruitment ground.

I myself vowed to stay out of politics, alliance warfare and sinking vast amounts of time into the game because they are the main reasons for quitting last time. The draw to be a "somebody" in eve is a very strong one for me. I'm already toying with the idea of FC'ing again as that is a fun aspect of eve however its the "gateway drug" to more power, responsibilities and all be it crashing and burning in this game. So we shall see where the game leads me.

THE GAME - A reflection thus far

So far, I'm really keen on playing all hours god sends again, which is kinda bad. Must learn to self control. Coming back from around a year out and the changes I've seen and read about which are coming up soon are mostly positive.

Q AND A - the community feedback section

So, I was hoping that some of you give me your viewpoint on some of the changes to the game and maybe go into them a bit deeper if any of them really take off.

1. So why change the scam to cut off MWD only to allow duel prop setups with 100mn afterburners which go faster than 10mn MWD? I know they have fitting issues but I've even seen triple-prop setups... isn't this getting a little ridiculous, ships having 3 engine systems?

2. The changes to fleets, preventing logi from the same fleet rep NPC rats as well as shooting cans causing aggression. I've been in Incursion fleets where the whole fleet has been compromised because a logi has accidental rep'ed an NPC and been concorded, Also just yesterday we had a Nighthawk get concorded for shooting a can in the middle of a fleet in an incursion, I know there where some major issues with trolls in fleets but is this OTT?

3. 0.0 when I left was starting to look kinda pointless, what - other than moon goo - is the point in holding 0.0 space over living in 0.0 NPC? Is it really just for EPEEN status for alliances to be viewable on sov maps?

Thanks for reading, I'm hoping to make this blog a habit so please feel free to drop by and give me your feedback,

I've been Skadi WinterHunt,
see you next time.

1 comment:

  1. I can't really comment about two, and only have second hand knowledge of #1, but here goes.

    #1: It's more experienced PvPers' understanding that the 100MN AB fits on cruisers/BCs was a bit unintentional. Still, fitting ships that way has serious drawbacks, like having zilch agility and the align time of a brick.

    #3: 0.0 to me feels like EPEEN in part, but also safe access to ISK generation (most of the time) in blue territory, moon goo or ratting or plexes/sigs. I've never been able to make as much ISK in hi-sec or low-sec anywhere near as safely (before incursions) as I can in null.

    ReplyDelete